Thursday, August 23, 2012

Time for Hurricane Shopping {Vegan Style}



It is hurricane season once again here in Florida and it’s looking like it may be that time again where we all go out and do hurricane shopping.  It has been seven years since we have had a hurricane scare here.  In 2005 we had two storms, hurricanes Rita and Katrina, one after the other.  Back then I was a single mom (dating my now husband) living in an apartment with my daughter and it was long before I was vegan or vegetarian or even thinking about it.  So hurricane shopping at that time was a lot of meat products, such as tuna and other canned meats, canned pastas with meat, mac and cheese, dry dairy products and any other food items that were non-perishable––meaning anything not fresh, healthy or nutritious because it could last on the shelf forever. 

Now we are in the threat of another storm, tropical storm Isaac that may very well become hurricane Isaac and is currently on track to make impact or come very close to Florida, or more importantly for me, Miami!  I realize that I need to go out and do my hurricane shopping that I have done dozens of times before.  But now things are different because I cannot buy all those canned meat products that I relied on for so long.  With the possibility of being without power or access to a grocery store for a few days, what kinds of things can I buy that will stay fresh and keep me faithful to my new vegan life? 

I’m starting to feel like I did a few years ago, like a vegan newbie not knowing where to begin.  Now if I was shopping just for me I could have peanut butter sandwiches every day, but I also have my hubby and four children to feed.  And my little one has not taken to peanut butter yet (I’m trying).  It would be great if I could find a canned food for her that is vegan, but I know from my normal shopping that it is very difficult to find canned foods that don’t have meat or dairy.  Well I guess this will be another learning experience and just another hurdle to jump in my journey to becoming vegan. 

My hurricane shopping list (so far):

·         Peanut butter
·         Bread
·         Crackers
·         Rice cakes
·         Soy chips
·         Sweet potato chips (love these!)
·         Water
·         Lots of Fruitables juice boxes
·         Veggie Stix (her favorite snack)
·         Canned beans
·         Canned veggies
·         Food dehydrator


 I have been meaning to get a food dehydrator and I think now is the perfect time.  During my research on dehydrating foods, I learned that dehydrated food has a very long shelf life.  So then I can make a bunch of different kinds of veggie chips or fruit that will last for weeks. 

Here are a few links I found while searching for ideas for vegan hurricane shopping:



I will update after my shopping trip…any ideas or suggestions from others will be greatly appreciated! J

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the list!! I love the link to Eat Vegan on $4 a day! i own the book and love it :)

    ReplyDelete