Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Good-Bye Preschool Lunch


Well the time has finally come…my little one has graduated from preschool! Although this in itself is a joyous occasion and is reason to celebrate, I am also celebrating for another reason—that she will no longer be subjected to the preschool lunch that I have had to let her eat for the past two years. You see her preschool does not allow the children to bring their own food, unless for some medical reason.

I am so excited that I have already gone out and purchased her new lunch box for kindergarten, as well as a new Disney Princess hot food thermos. And I am already making up lunch ideas that I think she will love. I’m thinking of main dish things like black beans and rice (her favorite), veggie nuggets, spinach nuggets, vegan mac & cheese, whole wheat spaghetti. For snack or sides I want to put things like veggie sticks, sweet potato chips, or kale chips instead of regular potato chips, and of course Fruitables for her drink.

I am so excited to finally be in control of her entire diet (well, except for when she’s at grandma’s house, but that’s another blog post) and to expose her to new and exciting things each day for lunch. I work as a substitute teacher and I see the kinds of things parents send for their kids to eat and it just amazes me how little effort is often put into their lunch. Good nutrition is one of the most important things you can do for your child and it is crucial to start from the beginning. I am eager to get started! I will also be home with her for the summer, so this is a good test run to see what things she will eat, so it doesn’t end up in the school trash. I will start posting about her lunches when the school year begins to share with others what things work and what things went wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on her graduation. I am sure that you are really happy. Thanks for sharing this to us.

    ReplyDelete